Friday, July 20, 2007

War Anthems 2

Given that my first war anthem (Dashboard Confessional’s “Slow Decay”) was sabotaged by the youtube video vanishing from the face of the earth, let me give it another try. If anyone hasn’t heard Pink’s “Dear Mr President” yet, it’s high time you did.

Early in her career, I think it’s fair to say that Pink was a pretty standard R& B/ Pop kind of performer. Her 2001 album though (M!ssundaztood) marked a change to a more rock oriented style – and I’m guessing there wouldn’t be anyone out there that didn’t bust the occasional move to “Get this Party Started”. Aside from her support of animal rights group PETA (she’s a strict Vegan), and her criticism of Australia’s care of our exported sheep – I didn’t know all that much about Pink. She occasionally pops up with a no-fur, anti-KFC message, but admittedly I (ignorantly) thought she was pretty one dimensional.

Her latest album (I’m Not Dead) has changed my mind. It contains two songs in particular which defy the pop princess stereotype and have an important message to share. She sings “I Have Seen the Rain” – a Vietnam War protest song written by (and sung with) her father, and the previously mentioned “Dear Mr. President”. I recommend listening to both, but today “Dr Mr. President” in particular. It’s not exclusively a war anthem – more of an anti-Bush anthem – but it’s his war, so I’m allowing it. The song covers the mistreatment of Hurricane Katrina Victims, the war in Iraq and the Bush Administrations homophobia. I particularly like:

“What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine”

What kind of father indeed. This President applauds the sentiment and vows to take a walk with Pink anytime she wants to check in on my policy decisions. If you’re going to take a stand as a leader, you should be taking defensible positions that you can publicly defend. Pink may have her critics – but she’s using her popularity to send an important message and as far as I’m concerned that’s all we can ask.

No comments: